geez

Re: Can you calibrate it any direction?

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can you calibrate it any direction?
From: Arthur Emerson <vreihen@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:05:22 -0700 (PDT)
Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com> wrote:

> In my new car, the Geez cube will fit perfectly snugly in the
> hole for the ashtray... but nose down.  Can you calibrate the
> Geez cube in any direction, or does front need to be front and
> top need to be top???

I'm sure that Byron will correct me if I'm wrong, but the cube
needs to be in some semblance of level.  My understanding of
the internals is that there's two accelerometers in it, one
facing F/R and the other R/L.  If you put it nose-down, the
F/R accelerometer will always be reading 1.0g (Earth's gravity,
or god's chosen calibration reference).

Also, I'm sure that Byron has some math, but I'm thinking that
calibrating the cube with a major tilt on any axis will
diminish it's measuring resolution in that direction.

Oh, I finally broke down on Monday and bought a Palm M100.
It's on-sale at Best Buy for $115 until Saturday, if anybody
else has been on the fence.  They also had the Palm VIIx on
blowout for $179, the same price as the M105 and Handspring
units.  Don't know much about the VIIx, but heard that it used
to sell for $400+ a few weeks ago.....

-Arthur

///
///  geez@autox.team.net mailing list