geez

Re: A few questions...

To: "I.Mannix" <mannix@privateI.com>
Subject: Re: A few questions...
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:29:30 -0700
Hi Iain,

The light blue lines in the friction circle represent 0.25g increments.
 When you are pulling over 1 g you'll see 4 of them.  This is just like
in the strip charts.

The initial calibration that you do on a desk or table top is all that
has to be done in terms of actual calibrations.  GEEZ performs a 1/2
second calibration at the start of each run (each time you hit Start or
AutoStart).  That calibration sets the current position of the cube as
the zero reference point.  Therefore, you should always try to hit Start
or AutoStart only when you are on very level ground.  Failing this,
you'll need to make larger adjustments...it can be done, of course, but
starting on level ground makes it all easier.

Usage over 100% doesn't necessarily mean slip.  Let's assume that the
Usage parameter that you are exceeding is your implied friction circle
(which it probably is).  Look under Setup|Program Options|Data and see
if you are using Absolute Peaks or Sustained Peaks.  The default is
sustained peaks.  This means that your peak g's are computed based upon
a the highest value that you can maintain for a certain period of time,
such as 0.5 seconds.  When you spike above that sustain level, you score
over 100%.  So Usage > 100% means that you are currently pulling more
G's than you were able to maintain for the sustain duration during that
run.

A "Lo-Co" surface, such as gravel will make Geez see lower limits.  But
GEEZ adapts automatically to that new limit, as GEEZ sets its limits on
a per run basis.  Nothing is carried over from one run to the next.

Gravel roads can certainly produce a "smoothing" effect to your driving
as the breakaway and hook-up are certainly more gentle than on asphault.
 Since we have "tuned" the software to asphault, that alone may account
for the very high usage rating.  However, the path you took is also way
different from a typical autocross or road race track...I suspect that
when you use GEEZ in a more normal circumstance you'll find more normal
ratings.

Likewise, I wouldn't put too much stock in what you've read on that
first test run.  Specificallly, the left vs right turn tendencies.  See
if they show up on an autocross course first.

Sounds like you are off to a good start!  Enjoy!

--Byron