geez

Re: What's for Launch??

To: bob1 <bob1@sns-access.com>
Subject: Re: What's for Launch??
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 06:24:55 -0700
bob1 wrote:
> Most older cars crunch gears if you shift fast after hitting redline.  (At
> least mine do).  So I've developed a habit of shifting slow at redline.
> I think the Geez! 0-35 or 0-40 time is telling me to shift *fast* at 4500~5000
> is better.

I certainly remember that from my 914 days.  30 year old Porsche
trannies are not happy with hard shifting.  Of course, with the 914 we
had a nice vague shifter feel to go with it...so even when you ignored
the cruch and shifted quickly, there was no telling what gear you were
really gonna get...

Have you looked around any of the Porsche lists for any tranny oil
suggestions that will allow you to shift a bit faster without so much
crunch?  It seems we did something like that to the 914, but I can't
remember what fluid we used.

--Byron