fot

Re: [Fot] A-type OD leaks

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] A-type OD leaks
From: yellow04 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 06:26:38 -0400
Regarding the installation of the OD unit to the gearbox...

It sounds like a lot of people have bent or broken adapter plates trying
to get everything aligned and back together. When drawing the OD unit
home by tightening equally the nuts on the two long studs, if everything
is aligned properly at no point does the unit get hung up. If you
experience any binding, especially in the last inch +/- 1/2 inch, STOP.
Either the splines are not perfectly aligned, or you are fouling the
pump plunger. Evenly back off the two nuts, remove the OD unit and start
again. Failure to do this will bend or break the adapter plate, or if
you are hanging up on the oil pump, you will bend the plunger shaft.

For years I followed the instructions out there on installing the OD
unit to the gearbox, install the springs on the sliding member, then
offer up the OD unit. Some like to do it with the gearbox vertical, some
prefer horizontal. Both methods can be a huge source of frustration, as
the springs hold the OD unit pretty far from the adapter plate. As Mike
Hado point out, once the springs are under pressure, they are locking
the cone clutch in place on the annulus. One would think that is a good
thing, you have aligned the splines using a dummy mainshaft, not moved
anything, in theory it should just slide right home. Well, several folks
here have posted, more often than not, it doesn't.

Once Tim Hutchisen turned me on to the process I described on my
original post, aligning everything with no springs installed then
stuffing the springs into place, mating the OD unit to the gearbox
became pretty easy and frustration free. Sure, it's messy as you can't
avoid get the sealant on your gloves/hands, but it works every time. One
thing I didn't mention as I thought it was obvious, but this is done
with the gearbox horizontal, on a gearbox stand or the bench.

Henry Frye

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com