fot

Moldex cranks for TR6 and twin m/cylinders

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Moldex cranks for TR6 and twin m/cylinders
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 11:55:17 -0500
Hi All,

Has anyone ever used a Moldex billet crank for the TR6?  I could not afford
to be their "first" customer, but if they have already done this, then the
design has been laid out and subsequent units should be cheaper to build.

Has anyone ever ditched the power brake booster on the TR6?  If so, can they
report on what they did, and what pedal pressure and modulation they
experience?  Chuck Arnold ditched his, and went with two 0.75" master
cylinders connected to a balnce bar that he welded to the stock brake pedal.
  He reports very high pedal pressures, but terrific modulation (stock rear
drums, Toy 4-pot calipers at front).

It seems to me that the stock pedal ratio of the TR6 pedals of 3.85 could be
changed to around 4.8 just by moving the clevis pin that connects the pedal
to the M/C 0.5" closer to the fulcrum point.  Reducing the size of the M/C
to 0.70" also reduces pedal pressures.  Theoretically, these two
modifications (sans booster) would yield similar pedal pressures as the
stock system (with booster).  I do not know how it would affect pedal travel
or feel, other than the pedal travel would be longer, the the feel spongier!

It is just not possible to fit a Tilton or Wilwood pedal box to the TR6 (but
please tell me if I am wrong!) because of the angled firewall, lack of
footwell space (for floor-mounted pedals) and my desire to keep the wiper
motor.  You TR4 guys have it easy because you have a vertical firewall.

Cheers,

Shane Ingate (about to blow his 2004 car budget in the first week) in
Maryland