fot

Spitfire Intermittent Misfire

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Intermittent Misfire
From: Russell <rjmunns@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:31:05 +0100
Please help

I was Racing my Spitfire in the TSSC championship at Snetterton UK
yesterday when a strange misfire occurred on the green flag lap, which
nearly caused me to miss the start. I turned the engine off an re-started
it and the misfire cleared. I then raced without any problems at all.

I had experienced the same problem once before when running the day before
a race. The engine was ticking over and was up to temperature, when it
slowly died. I could not get the engine revs to increase with the throttle
and the engine died. When I re-started the misfire had gone. I have never
had a misfire when racing!

Why would the engine misfire then die after ticking over, only to restart
and run trouble free?

The following outlines my thinking so far.

1: Not fuel as I would have problems during race rpm
2: Not fouling plugs as the engine would not restart as easily as it does
3: Must be electrical because of the way it clears after restarting
4: This leaves the following electrical items