fot

RE: Bounds of taste

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bounds of taste
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:48:09 -0500
John Lehman wrote:

> How far can I go in creating a sponsorship arrangement for the MG-Triumph
> challenge?  The situation is this:  I've finally convinced the company I
> represent to kick in some money for the Mid-Ohio SVRA race effort and
invite
> some clients to the race, especially since my territory is Ohio and
western
> Pennsylvania.  Two or three small logos on the car plus lunches and
> after-racing-hours party in the paddock.
>
> I don't want this to become like NASCAR, but I can't turn down
sponsorship,
> can I?
>
> So it's now the Wirsbo/Bluemoon Racing/Triumph GT6.  I have to practice
> saying that anytime someone points a videocam my way.

Nothing wrong with sponsorship . . . so long as:

1) You don't mind spending your "free" time at the track with clients rather
than family, friends and fellow racers.

2) You're willing to stop using the personal pronoun "I" in favor of "We".
As in: "We ran real good today with the Acme Topless Bakery/Food King
Supermart Triumph GT Special, even that time we braked too late for turn
five, but we have to give all the credit for our success to those great folk
at Acme and Food King". (And don't forget to don the sponsor-logoed baseball
caps as soon as you get your helmet off.)

:-)

Jim Hill
Madison WI