Re: [Roadsters] towing

To: <vociferouschicanery@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] towing
From: "robert k. smith" <rksmith46@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 19:23:19 -0400
hi all, well at last something i have a lot of experience with: flat

towing the datsun roadster. ive towed mine probably 3000 miles

over the last 30+ years. it works fine,nothing needs to be unhooked.

ther are some caveats: you cant backup. you do need to be sure the

trans. oil isnt low. sometimes when you go in or out of an uneven drive

way, the steering wheel will turn all the way to one side and stay there.

you will know this by the tires screeching. you simply stop, straighten the

steer. wheel, and you are on your way. dont worry, this never happens

at speed, or going around corners--only when slowly turning into or out of a

driveway. also, i never tie the steering wheel, i leave it free. it needs to
turn

when going around corners. you might want to leave the park lights on at
night.

if you are thinking of tying your tow car lights to the roadster
lights--dont.

you would need to disconnect the tail lights from the wiring harness, and

tie into them with the tow car wiring. well, with my advice you have to

listen to a story: i time, i towed one roadster with another from florida

to virginia. the 2L. had plenty of power, but i had to watch my braking

distances.    good luck, bob smith, ohio
                                   69 srl311
                                    70 chev. el camino SS

p.s. my tow bar attached in where the bumper brackets bolt to the frame.>
From: Keith0alan@aol.com> Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 09:10:28 -0400> To:
vociferouschicanery@yahoo.com; datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Subject: Re:
[Roadsters] towing> > In a message dated 5/16/2008 11:10:05 PM Pacific
Daylight Time, voci> ferouschicanery@yahoo.com writes:> > hi everyone> i am
considering towing my roadster to the track, using a tow bar. the car > will
roll on its own wheels. this seems to be the cheapest way to do it. > must i
de-tach the drive shaft? anything else i should do to the car to make > it tow
more easily?> thank you in advance.> steve> 675MIZU> > > > Make sure the tow
bar is attached to something solid. The original bumper > mounting location is
a little weak without some reinforcement. As to the drive > shaft, it depends
on whether oil is slung in the trans. Hopefully someone > with a gear box out
can remove the bottom plate, put it in neutral and turn the > tail shaft. If
gears below the oil level turn then you are good to go. > > keith> > > >
**************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family >
favorites at AOL Food. >
(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)>