Re: [Roadsters] 5-point harness laws

To: " Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-point harness laws
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:59:20 -0500
Someone please correct me if I am wrong...
As far as I know, racing belts are not DOT approved. Also, unless you have a
proper anchor at shoulder level behind the seats, I've been told the
shoulder harness can cause injury from pulling down on your shoulders in a
frontal impact. I took out the Non DOT approved 4 point in my car, I had no
harness bar,  and put in non DOT, but FAA approved airline seatbelts.
Figured 5 year old non DOT is better than dry rotted but legal stockers.
The aircraft belts clip/snap onto an eyebolt, so you could have them for the
street, and unclip them and put in the harness if you go on the track or
show.

Now we enter the grey area...If the car did not come with belts, do they
have to be DOT if you add them?  In New Jersey, if the car was made before
July 1 1967, seatbelts are not required, but if you have them you do need to
wear them.  I guess it would depend on local inspection requirements. I'm
not subject to inspection on the Datsun. Most cops would be happy if you are
wearing them, not caring if they have a DOT, FAA or SEMA tag.
Personal opinion, driving around on the street in a 5 point harness just
screams "Arrest Me!!"