Blinker woes, again, arrgghh!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blinker woes, again, arrgghh!
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:13:30 -0700
So, roadster has been hiding away due to exceptionally high temps in
California.  I had found burnt wires (PO wiring fire) at left front
harness area (left headlite wires burnt off the insulation).  I cleaned,
re-coated and re-taped all that were there.  I am sure none are shorting
to each other or the body in that area.

So, off to work I go last Thursday, and 5 miles from home I go over a
fwy bump and the dash lites go out, hi-beam indicator lite goes on,
which means the parking/blinker fuse has blown.  No surprise there,
'cept as I was moving over to get off the fwy, the dash lites ebb back
on, although somewhat dim.
I pull off and put in a new blinker fuse.
Back on and going fine, although I notice the right blinker indicator on
the dash isn't functioning, but what the heck, I bash on regardless.  20
miles up the road the fuse blows again (this time unrelated to a bump),
and I just go on ahead to work.  Swap in a  new fuse for the way home
(daytime running, but blinkers are not functioning I can tell).
Now blinkers won't work front or back, but that is also cuz the brake
lites are on non-stop.  I'll have to check the brake pedal switch,
because that was one of the previous problems (rubber grommet had given
out, so I adjusted the switch to hit metal rather than the hole/rubber
set-up.  I'll re-check the switch actuation is working first thing.
I have a friend printing me out 17x24" prints of the wiring diagram.
Question: Can I use the '68 version for most of my wiring checks? It
sure is handy using the colorized version. (thanks Leigh Brooks)
Any obvious starting points in my system check?  (i.e.: tailite ground
points first?)  Remember from previous posts, I found the fuses didn't
blow when I removed the front blinker bulbs.   As a confusing aside,
both the parking/tail fuse (which is prone to blowing) and the oteh 10A
(xxxx)  both run at about 325 degrees F!  (easy to tell these in the
dark a.m. by the burned spot on the end of your finger!)

How best to proceed?  Swap out underhood wiring harness section?  Is
that overkill?  Having never done that sort of thing, am I just opening
up more possibility for errors than finding the solution to this one
problem?

Arrggghhh.
Wally O'Wiring Challenged, 69 2L laid up and steaming in the heat, HB,
CA