Re: Fuel line issue - 70 2000 Solex

To: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel line issue - 70 2000 Solex
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:24:03 -0700
> ...I popped the hood, and out of a metal pipe a few inches to the
> "drivers" side of the hood latch was a good trickle of gas dripping on
> my starter.

Ack.
That line is indeed the fuel return. It travels back to the tank, where it
connects to a fitting that discharges inside the tank at about the 1/3
to 1/2 point (that is, above the bottom). With a full tank, I certainly
see how fuel will happily 'backfeed' and piddle on everything if this line
is not connected.

Step 1: Plug the darn thing! That'll fix your fuel spillage for now.

Step 2: Figure out what's going on.
Was this always a solex car, or were these carbs added later?
Speaking from an SU standpoint, the fuel line routes to a 'tee'
that feeds the front bowl, then a 'tee' that feeds the rear bowl,
then into a fuel return valve and on to the return line.

I don't recall offhand if the Solex setup used a return valve. If it
did, then you're missing yours :-). If it didn't, then the return line
should be capped.

Note: this return line (and valve) helps reduce/prevent vapor lock.
One of the subtle improvements Nissan made in the later years.
Nothing will be gained by ripping it out (some people mistakenly
think it's part of some evil smog contraption that deserves to be yanked).

Any solex owners care to chime in? Is Matthew missing a return valve?

-- John