Re: Dashboard electrical issue

To: "Chuck Kyle" <chuck@chuckkyle.com>,
Subject: Re: Dashboard electrical issue
From: "Richard Brown" <reblues@reblues.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 08:58:00 -0400
Good morning,

You can get a great color wiring diagram here.

 http://www.311s.org/tech/electrical/wiring.html

Reading through the Electrical trouble shooting section is helpful.  On the
68 the cluster everything but the amp gauge plugs into the main harness.
Maybe this is disconnected.  Removing  the padded cover  under the steering
column makes it easier to see.  The fuel and temp gauges plug into a
regulator that is on the side of the steering column, under the dash. Make
sure the two wires are pushed on good.

Something I learned recently  when working with electrical connection  is to
keep a tube of dielectric grease handy.  Whey you unplug something, squirt a
dab of grease in the female end.  It will go back together much easier ,
next time you take it apart it will slide apart much easier.  Helps prevent
corrosion.

If you ground the temp wire where it goes into the sender then the temp
gauge should move to hot.  Same with the fuel gauge.  Right under the
license plate light is a two wire harness that runs to the top of the fuel
tank.  I unplug these and jump them together. The gauge goes to full if it's
working.