RE: Starter?

To: orangepop@gmx.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Starter?
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 07:23:58 -0500
When working on cars always start with easy stuff and work toward hard
stuff.  You already did the really easy stuff, like fuses , etc.  Next thing
is to jack up car, take off drivers side front wheel, and reach in  there,
and thru the hood, and unfasten and clean up all connections to the starter,
then tighten eveything back down again.  Dont forget the little wires with
the spade connectors also.  Might as well get the battery cable connections
and where the ground bolts down also while your at it.  A small toothbrush
size wire brush is very good for all of this.

80% chance that its corroded connections on the starter, since this gets
splashed by the front wheels a lot.

Good Luck!
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia

>From: John <orangepop@gmx.net>
>To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Starter?
>Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:59:45 -0800
>
>Hi list,
>I need some help regarding a starter issue I have. I went to start my car
>today and the motor turned over when I engaged the starter. I released the
>key - noticing that I did not have my choke on and tried again. When I
>tried
>again I got nothing. Just like as if it was a dead battery. So I turned on
>my stereo to see if in fact it was a battery problem but the radio came on;
>then I tried the lights as well as the stereo and again everything was ok.
>So I decided to leave all three on to see if when I engaged the starter if
>any of them would be affected like when you have a weak battery...
>Everything was ok and the volt meter on the car is showing a good battery
>if
>that means anything.
>So next was the fuses. Nope they all checked out to be ok.
>This only leads me to believe that it is a starter issue. Am I right to
>guess that or can there be other things I can check to see what can be the
>fault. As a side note I also have no points on the car since I am using an
>MSD box but I doubt that will have anything to do with it since the starter
>itself is not even making any sound at all, like there was no juice getting
>to it to turn over.
>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Your messages not reaching the list?
>Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!