Re: tire question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tire question
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:38:30 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
 Victor,

Are these the tires that you are using?
Falken Azenis Sport 195/60R-14 86H B (28637)

These are at www.discounttire.com for $69.

There is also a new tire that may be better in the wet it is:
Falken Azenis RT-615 195/60R-14 86H BLK for $91 at discount tire.

They are the stickiest street tires anywhere except for a Hoosier or Kumho DOT
leagal racing tire.  I used the sports on my dad's BMW 325is at the autocross
and found them to be very close in traction to a true racing tire.  They were
light years better than other street tires that I have driven on like the A032
Yokohama or the RE71 Bridgestone.  The A032 and RE71 are very sticky but don't
even compare to the Azenis Sports.  I have not tried the Hankook Ventus RSS
Z211.

A problem that I noticed with my roadster is that the stickier the tires were
then the more body roll I experienced.  I started with BFG G-Force TA and had
decent rear traction because the tires would slip before the body rolled enough
to lift a rear tire.  I changed to the Kumho V700 and  started to get rear
wheel spin because of the increased body roll.  I installed stiffer front
springs and delrin swaybar bushings on the 23mm front bar which helped the body
roll.  Now I am running 20x9.0x13 Hoosier R35 slicks and am again picking up a
rear wheel and getting wheelspin.  I tried to fix the problem by packing the
LSD tighter but overdid it and ended up with a spool.  It was hard to get
wheelspin like that.  It would push badly until both rear wheels broke free and
then fishtale like crazy.  Now I have loosened the LSD and hope for a happy
medium.

My opinion is that the increased traction that your Falkens provide are causing
you to pick up a rear wheel in the corners causing the rear to be loose.  You
were using the V700's before and they were much stickier than the Azenis
allowing for increased rear traction even with one unloaded corner.  My
suggestion is to adjust the rear shocks for less rebound dampening and loosen
or remove any rear swaybar that you have.  Another way to improve your
situation is to increase the front spring rate, reduce front rebound dampening,
or stiffen the front swaybar.

Andy