Re: Theft Protection

To: pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: Theft Protection
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:21:17 GMT
-- Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
As for what to do for the bypass switch, car thieves will be on the
lookout for anything that looks like a kill switch, so why not put it in plain
sight!

That is exactly what I did... it is in plain site but not a switch that I use
(any guesses?  Keep them to yourself!).  It kills the signal to the coil.
Years ago I got involved in a company that had a GREAT anti-theft system called
an Immobilizer.  It was wired into several systems in the car (ignition, fuel
pump, transmission control, etc, up to 8 different systems) and had to be
professionally installed by trained techs.  It used a special key that would
connect all the systems together when the key was in.  There were cheap
versions of it around (like Pro-lock) that could be bypassed with a quarter or
a paper clip, but this one was great.  Unfortunately nobody (dealerships
mainly) wanted to get involved, and it died.  Now I just have the single kill
switch.  Since I have a Jacobs ingition system I could add their system, but my
car is usually in close proximity to me, so I feel safe with the single switch.
Greg Burrows
67 2000