Re: Datsun Posters:

To: <efrisbee@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Datsun Posters:
From: <gerardomagana@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:58:35 -0800
Eric, Before I even made this poster that question came up, when I asked the
graphic artist he said the picture was in the public domain, I hope he was
right. I am just trying to make a nice item available for others. I know how
hard these are to find, If there are copyrights then I hope that there is no
problem as no malice was intended.  I looked closely at the original and see
no trademark or copyright label.  I went on the advice of the graphic
artist, he is more familiar with these copyright issues than I am. The US
copyright office states:
The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain all the following
three elements:

1. The symbol ) (the letter C in a circle), or the word "Copyright," or the
abbreviation "Copr."; and

2. The year of first publication of the work. In the case of compilations or
derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date
of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient.
The year date may be omitted where a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work,
with accompanying textual matter, if any, is reproduced in or on greeting
cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful article;
and

3. The name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by
which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative
designation of the owner.

None of these items are on the poster, so my guess is as good as yours.  If
you happen to know of a copyright let me know as soon as possible as I do
not want to infringe on it.  I do know that as an example there have been
owners manual reproduced by vendor's, are there copyright issues there??

Thanks, Gerardo