Re: Crane XR3000 Ignition and ballast resistor.

To: <gregs672liter@netzero.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crane XR3000 Ignition and ballast resistor.
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:20:24 -0800
It's not a gary boone dizzy (I was hoping for on one, but I got a deal on
this crane w/ dizzy for under $100), but I couldn't afford it after
replacing tires on 2 cars, a CV boot and an upcoming clutch this month.
I found a wiring diagram by searching the old posts to make sure I'm wiring
correctly.
I couldn't wait to install the electronic ignition, since the points seem
not to work in wet weather(weak spark).
I am bypassing the ballast, but what I was getting at was whether I can run
the Crane XR3000 with a stock coil without frying it.
I've heard that a ballasted coil runs on 6-8V except at startup.  Running it
at 12V continously may overheat it and leave me stranded.
Anyone know how to tell the difference between a 6V and 12V coil?
I need to pick up a Crane PS91 coil, but in the interim, I'd still like to
drive.