Crane XR3000 Ignition and ballast resistor.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crane XR3000 Ignition and ballast resistor.
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:57:21 -0800
I'm finally switching to an electronic ignition, so I picked up a Crane
XR3000.
Since the this is a high energy ignition module, Crane recommends using a low
resistance coil w/o ballast resistor.  A ballasted coil measures 3-4 ohms
including resistor.
I measured the Lucas coil at 1.7 ohms, with 2.2 across the resistor which adds
up to 3.9.
However in their printed instructions they state that all Lucas coils have an
internal resistance
and cannot be used.  I checked summitracing and accel superstock coils have a
resistance of 1.4 ohms,
which is not to far from the 1.7 of the Lucas.
Can I use the lucas and bypass the ballast resistor?
The manual also recommends that a 14 ga wire be used to jumper across the
terminals of the ballast
resistor to bypass it.  The stock wires going to the ballast resistors can't
be more than 18 ga. from what I see.
Is this unusual?  I currently have it wired to where the two stock spade
terminals on both sides of the resistor
are on the same side to bypass it.   The warning about using 14 ga. wire has
got me worried that I might fry some wiring.
I haved it hooked up, but haven't started it.
Any recommendations?
A link to a wiring diagram may be helpful too.

Steve
70' 1600

090102us_pic.jpg]