R16 Carbs

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: R16 Carbs
From: <slowboy@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:21:37 -0500
In 1998 I picked up a 70 1600 and decided it was a parts car and got another 70
1600. The car wasn't running very well so I got some carbs from Z-Therapy
(Previous Owner).

I could never get the car to run good. Sometimes it was dead on and others it
was all over the place. Between that and the emissions here in Arizona
(Maricopa County) going back to 1967 I decided to detag the car and park it.

I then went and picked up a 66 1600 (no emsissions). This car would start with
a turn of the key and idle.

Almost 7 years later I pulled that pain of a 70 1600 out to find out why it
wouldn't run worth a damn. After two weeks of adjustments and parts swapping
from the 66 I found the two gremlins causing my anxiety.

First, I put the intake and carbs from the 66 on the 70 and turned the key and
found that it fired right up and idled. That eliminated the rest of the car.
Next I put the Z-Therapy carbs on and it fired up and it ran, but not as well.
That gave me the problem with the 70 intake manifold. One down and one to go.
After checking settings and adjusting the carbs for another three days I
finally changed the needles but it did not help. The next thing I did was swap
out the float needles (top of the float chamber). The 70 now ran like the 66 on
a key hit. So, the second problem turned out to be the grosse jets.

Gee, I wonder how the 70 would fair at the emissions inspection now.