RE: Little wiring help please?

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: RE: Little wiring help please?
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:04:12 -0800
Greg,

There is one fuse that will shut your ignition off.  I know.  It blew in the
middle of a gentle turn and I thought I had run out of gas.  Fortunately I
checked the fuses and found a bad one.  I ALWAYS carry one box each of 10
Amp and 20 Amp fuses in the glove box.  It pays sometimes.

The ignition switch does two things.

1.  DURING START the ignition switch applies 12 volt battery directly to the
+ terminal of the coil to provide a hotter spark during starting.  That is
the side of the ballast resistor that is connected to the coil and has a
wire going into the firewall. From what you describe it is probably working.

2.  DURING RUN the ignition switch applies 12 volts to the side of the
ballast resistor away from the connection to the coil.  It sounds like you
don't have that voltage applied when your ignition switch is in the RUN
position.

If you don't have 12 volts applied to either side of the ballast resistor
then you should start at the ignition switch (if the fuse is good) and see
if it is providing 12 volts in the run position.  If it is there may be
another wiring problem you will have to track down from the switch out.

There are two colored diagrams on my web page.  One is a 68 just posted by
Leigh Brooks, and the other is a 69 I have been working on now and then.
Take a look and see if they help you.  The 68 ignition circuit should be the
same as the 69.  I think the only difference from 68 to 69 is in the turn
signal switch wiring.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland