Re: Ebay Intelligence Test

To: Eric Hankinson <eric@railpros.com>
Subject: Re: Ebay Intelligence Test
From: RWM <RWM@rwmann.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:32:48 -0500
Eric Hankinson wrote:

>Ebay Intelligence Test:  There are two pretty-much identical items on
>Ebay.  One is currently bidding a low price and the other is bidding at
>several multiples higher.  Which one do you put a bid on?  Evidently,
>the answer is the higher one!!
>

>Example No. 1:
>

>The current bid on my headrest is $10.50 and shipping is $12.00. My
>headrest is in great shape without any tears.
>

>Two other headrests are individually listed on Ebay.
>
>One has two tears in the upholstery.  It is currently bidding at $15.50
>and shipping is $13.50.
>
>The other looks about the same as mine, except the lister notes the back
>screws are rusty.  Mine screws have no rust.  It is bidding at $31.05
>and the shipping is $13.50!
>

>Example No. 2:
>

>I have listed two stock horns (single listing).  One of which works and
>the other looks brand new inside and probably could be made to work.
>The current bid for both is $1 and shipping is $12.00
>

>Two other horns are listed individually.  NO info on whether either
>works is provided. The appearance is about the same as mine. One has a
>current bid of $10 and shipping is $8.50.  The other has no bid, but the
>starting price is also $10 and shipping is $8.50!
>

>I am finding that all my beliefs regarding capitalism and rational self
>interest are being completely shattered!  As such, for my next round of
>Ebay sales, I am list my old, beat up, completely useless tie rods for
>$100 starting bid and $40 shipping.  Perhaps I will then ride this new
>trend to prosperity!
>

>Very perplexing.
>
>Eric Hankinson
>
>69 2000
>
>302 V8

It's easy, Eric.  You don't have several of your friends shill bidding your
stuff up into the "greater fool" pricing area...

Of course, lest you think this is a new irrationally exuberant angle on "how
to" prosperity, they're stuck with the items and the ebay fees when no
unrelated party chooses to bid.

- Bob Mann, '68 2000 Solex

--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.   >>  Airline Industry Analysis
Port Washington, NY  11050  >>  tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280

This e-mail is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it
in error, please notify the above sender immediately then delete
the original e-mail.  Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.