RE: Secret to Removing the Door

To: "'Dana & Joni Holgate'" <holgate@highstream.net>,
Subject: RE: Secret to Removing the Door
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:57:02 +0930
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the doors, and don't see how the
little rod that limits the door swing is removed.  Should I just grind off
the pin on the door side?  Can't see any bolts to remove which would allow
easy removal.
What works best?

***
The door controller is held on by 2 bolts which clamp the controller plate
to the "A" pillar.
These bolts are accessed by removing the interior foot well side trim and
reaching into the "A" pillar. The door end is normally a roll pin or similar
which may need surgery to remove.
***

Also,  starting to think about the best way to remove the paint, bondo,
undercoating tar and all the rust.  Anybody have any experience with a
chemical strip tank?  What kind of cost is involved?  I suppose media
blasting is also an option,  but seems like it would be less effective on
inside body
panel areas.   What's the best approach?

***
I usually use Automotive Paint Stripper to remove all external and internal
paint.
The stripping tank you talk of is probably the he-mans version of my method
;)
The underbody tar coat can be snap frozen with dry ice and, when brittle,
scraped off with a spatula.
What traces remain will dissolve in kerosine.
I scrub the panels down with a 3M scourer soaked in kero.
Messy, but it then cleans up with a high pressure water jet.
I've never used a media blast on body panels, I suggest you be very careful
getting that done.
The local heat generated by media blasting can trash an otherwise perfect
panel.
I have grit blasted a rusty air plenum on my '73 Z but I was careful to
remove the corrosion as gently as possible.
***
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310