Re: EMPI lug nuts

To: jkunstler@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: EMPI lug nuts
From: JOver4X4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:10:27 EDT
Joe,

I am also running Empis and ran into the same problem.  My problem started
when I bought two sets of three wheels.  One set was the early type and one was
the later type.  I am not sure which style is early or late.  They are
identical except for the lug style.  One set of three used mag type lugs with
washers
(which I couldn't find in the correct diameter).  The other set of three had
a tapered seat for acorn style lugnuts.  I had one of my shouldered style
wheels machined at a machine shop in order to match the tapered seat wheels.  I
didn't want to use the industry standard mag type lug and machine the od of the
shank smaller.  I also didn't want to enlarge the hole in the wheel.  My
problem even got worse.  The machine shop machined the taper in my odd wheel to
match the other three (which was good) but I then found out the taper was 90
degrees.  The standard acorn taper of modern lugnuts are 60 degrees.  I had to
machine my lugs to a 90 degree taper.  Luckily I could do this myself at work.
would suggest finding a mag wheel with a tapered seat bore and having a
machine shop use that as a pattern to machine some tapered seats in your
wheels.
(60 degrees included angle)

Actually, I used a tool grind shop who ground a custom tool and did the
machining in one step.  The lug nut seat is actually a slight counterbore with
tapered seat machined in.  The counter bore is only about a 1/16 deep.  Watch
how deep the taper goes, you don't want to weaken the wheel flange.

Another problem I ran into was finding a 7/16-20 lugnut that was a 3/4 hex.
Some lugnuts are 13/16 and won't allow a socket to fit in between the spokes.
The 3/4 hex is easily found if you check a few places.

I like being unique and running Empis but if I knew it would be as much work
as it was, I would have bought different wheels.  If you have any questions
please email me.

For any of you other guys running Empis please check your tapered seat acorn
style lug nuts.  If you are using a 60 degree lug with 90 degree seats you are
getting a single point contact at the base of the lug taper and could damage
your wheels.......especially with hard cornering, creating excessive side
loads. :-)

Good Luck, I feel your pain!

John Over
68 2000