Question about Restoration - Rust

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Question about Restoration - Rust
From: "Steve Jones" <727gs@db3broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:47:54 -0500
I've got a '68 2000, # SRL311-01224, that I intended to restore. After
disassembling it, I found some pretty serious corrosion and damage issues. The
floorboards are holed, the rectangular metal boxes from the firewall to the
radiator bulkhead are rusted thru, rear fenders and trunk wells rusted thru
among other things. The most interesting is that after removing the
windshield, the lower portion of the frame is rusted through at both outer
edges clear down the front door pillars to the floorboards. Is this terminal?
I'm pretty savvy with a heli-arc but my experience is mostly airplane stuff.

I've got a late '67/68 1600 parts car, #17541, that has a lot better sheet
metal. I'm considering using that as the primary project.

Thanks in advance,
Steve near Chicago