RE: New To The List

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: RE: New To The List
From: "Tom@Datsun2000.com" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:57:49 -0700
The comments about replacing both master cylinders, and the rear slave
cylinders are very valid.  Unless you have the aluminum cylinders relined
they are very chancy to rebuild.  It is usually a waste of time.  You may
also need to replace the clutch slave cylinder.  I had a good radiator, but
a shot heater core, and the heater valve was very stiff when I got the car.
I also had to build new heater control cables before I could use the
heater... As if I really need it.

As to rear disk brakes.  www.311s.org has an article about converting the
rear brakes to disk.  It looks very simple, but remember that the master and
slave cylinders on your car have SAE threads, and the calipers shown in the
article will be Metric.  You will need to build your own metal brake lines,
making sure you use a double flare tool to reduce or eliminate the chance of
brake line connections leaking or failing.

Gordon Glasgow and 311s.org have a number of good technical articles.  I
have links to both on my LINKS page, and links to some things like the
311s's page on rear disk brakes on my TECH page.

Some of the vendors on my LINKS page can provide you with a dash cover.
These covers are incredible.  When properly installed you have to look very
hard to tell whether it is original, or a plastic copy.

Welcome to the list, and enjoy your new toy.  Where are you located?

Tom
Portland, Oregon
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
68 1600/L16 - Number 5