Re: How to make an Armored Roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to make an Armored Roadster
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:07:44 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
>Just wondering, but does E-Mod require a scatter-shield/blow-blanket,
>and if so, does SCCA approve Rhino-liner as meeting that requirement?

>- Bob Mann

The SCCA autocross rules are pretty lax where saftey is concerned.  My
interpretation of the rules says that I only need a roll bar, fluid overflow
catch cans, a five point harness, and a well secured fuel cell.  I built my
roll bar to the absolute minimum that the rules require.  It only bolts to the
floor pan and only goes behind the driver.  It has one brace that goes to the
rear.  It is probably 100 pounds lighter than a reccomended configuration.  I
also have a boat gas tank.  It isn't a real race car fuel cell but meets the
requirements that it is securely fastened and doesn't leak.  I have a small
catch can for the coolant overflow but none for the oil vent.  I plan to
install a negative crankcase pressure system which will negate the oil overflow
can.  I have a new harness.  The raodracing guys are required to use new
harnesses every couple of years.  Autocross can use whatever looks safe in the
eyes of the tech inspector.

Andy

BTW-The new car is coming together pretty well.  I still have a few details
left to finish but the major systems are in place and I should be ready to race
by June.