Re: re built engine break in suggestions

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re built engine break in suggestions
From: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 06:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
What Mike mentioned about removing the spark plugs and using the starter is -
of course, correct.  My brother had that opionion as as alternative as well.
I'll just mention I'm not a mechanic - just more paranoid (especially after
$800 for a short block/ machined crank), so I took the "prime the oil pump"
method.  I guess I just wanted to actually "SEE" oil coming out of the cam
towers before I started it up!

datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com> wrote:I would like to add that when the
engine is first run in for 30 minutes it
needs to be at a fast idle of at least 2000 rpms to break in the cam and
lifters or followers so that they mate properly. Every cam manufacturer
recommends that including the engine builder I used.

If you don't want to spin the oil pump then remove the spark plugs and use
the starter to crank the engine over and build up oil pressure. The assembly
lube will protect the bearings but make sure the builder used assembly lube.

Mike