Re: roadster registry

To: shifty@shiftco.com
Subject: Re: roadster registry
From: Phill Brook <fairlady@telstra.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:00:43 +1000
IIRC, under FIA rules, the correct number at the time was 500. There was then a
subsection for cars based on these which was used to justify the factory
lightweight racecars. US motorsport didn't conform to FIA rules (still doesnt,
AFAIK) so homologation requirements were different there, if they existed at
all.

I believe one of the main reasons Australia only got Solex 2000s was for
homologation as the Japanese market wasn't big enough to absorb that many cars.
Prince Motor Co (which was taken over by Nissan) certainly used the Australia
and New Zealand markets to take up the number of Skyline GTs required for
homologation.

I'm sure Nissan fudged the figures a little too.

According to my old contact in Nissan, the lack of records from the time is
that they were supposedly borrowed as research by someone and never returned to
the company. However, I'm sure there is more to it than that.

Regards,
Phill Brook
www.users.bigpond.com/fairlady