Transmission Oil Change

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission Oil Change
From: Ivin <wsurfer1@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:00:41 -0400
Hi All-

I am getting ready to change out the Transmission Oil and was thinking
about adding Redline MTL?

However, I recently read this thread on a 350Z forum - - -

--- friend and I were talking about the recurring noise I have in my
Pathfinder's manual trans. Basically, it's most noticeable when the
trans is cold, or sometimes when shifting between 1st and 2nd or 2nd
and 3rd. (sound kinda like that same problem some people have had with
their Z's doesn't it?)

  So, I did what I always do -- I did research.

  Turns out that 99.9% of all "gear oil" sold in stores is API GL-5.
Problem is, the factory spec for my Pathy is GL-4. Common logic would
say, "Isn't GL-5 BETTER than GL-4?"

  More research, please...

  So I did some Google Group searches. (By far the best way to get
instant info on the internet). Turns out that GL-5 includes some
additives which are harsh on yellow metals (brass included) and can
cause premature corrosion or breakage of bushings and synchros in your
trans. Moral of the story, GL-4 is very different from GL-5, and if
your spec calls for GL-4, you'd be well served to follow the
manufacturer's advice. (Listen up, folks! The 350Z also calls for GL-4
gear oil!)

  So all this had me wondering -- could it be that some 350Z owners have
unknowingly replaced their gear oil with GL-5 and led to some premature
problems? (I'm specifically thinking about folks who used Mobil 1 or
other off-the-shelf synthetics -- most if not all of them are GL-5).

  Just doing my part to look out for the troops -- if you've done an oil
change on your MT, be sure to find out what type of oil was used, and
if you have GL-5, GET IT OUT OF THERE!

  Redline oils makes a GL-4 which I'll be looking for tomorrow for my
Pathfinder. If any of you have done an oil swap on your trans, be sure
to check what you used!

So what do you think?

Ivin