RE: timing

To: "Datsun roadster list " <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: timing
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 09:27:28 -0800
Yes, the cylinders are numbered from the front of the engine back, so #1 is
the one closest to the front of the car.

#1 and #4 pistons move up and down together. #2 and #3 also move up and down
together, but 180 degrees out from #1 and #4. So the timing light will show
the same results on #1 or #4, but not on #2 and #3.

Remember that the big timing mark is TDC and the others are smaller. If
you'll excuse the hokey ASCII character representation, what you should see
when the car is timed at 15 degrees BTDC would look like this:

- >

5 degreees BTDC would look like this:

- >

This is assuming you are standing on the passenger side of the car looking
down at the timing marks. The dash is where the timing mark on the front
cover will be pointing.