Re: drano?

To: "Leigh Brooks" <shifty@shiftco.com>,
Subject: Re: drano?
From: <limprod@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 06:17:14 -0800
I happen to have a Drano bottle near by so I took a look at the active
ingredients.  I spent most of my time dozed off in chemistry so I am
surprised I remembered some of this stuff (in other words, no claims
made for accuracy).   No answers or guesses to your question without
knowing the composition of the badge so accept/ignore this info as a
useless witticism.

Ingredients (in order):

Sodium Hypochlorite (NaOcCl) aka soda bleach or typical household
liquid bleach is an oxidizing agent.   Ye Old warnings:  Exposure to
acids will produce chlorine gas.  Explosive when ammonia or ammonium
compounds are introduced.

Sodium Hydroxide (NaClO or caustic soda) in itself is non-violatile,
won't burn but is highly reactive.  will react violently when exposed
to water, most organic and inorganic materials/chemicals and may
produce enough heat to ignite combustibles (paper, clothing, etc);
contact with metals releases a (flammable) hydrogen gas; VERY
CORROSIVE.  Misc Roadster content - used to strip chrome.

Sodium silicates (water glass?) is a crystalline commonly used in
detergents, to aid paper/paint adhesion and is commonly used in metal
cleaners.

Surfactants (various forms) is generally a detergent component
(catalysis, emulsifier, lubrication (slimy feel when laundry detergent
gets wet?).

Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxidizer.

Put them all together and drop the badge inside....  I haven't the
slightest =)

probably safer amounts in drano after whatever inactive and
stabilizing ingredients are mixed in, none the less does sound like
nasty stuff.  I'd imagine it will attack organic and paint layers
quite well.  The worse case scenario chemical to watch out for would
be the sodium hydroxide. If you are willing to brave the reactions on
top of the other chemicals  just make sure you remove the part
immediately after it is stripped and before the reaction starts to
remove the actual part.  I would definitely not leave the badge in the
solution overnight (unsupervised) and risk wondering where the badge
went the following morning.

The reactions can be broken down using chemistry however just as any
other science, theories have a tendency to be wiped off blackboards
and the plans go with what works.  Having said that, the only useful
contribution I have is NaOcCl will generally dissolve organics and
(most)softer materials first, then softer metals, before the steels
and then tempered steels.