Re: roadster 1600 1967

To: Datsun Forum <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: roadster 1600 1967
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:16:55 -0500
datsun wrote:

>     I was looking over the rear suspension items on a vendors site. it lists
> the front leaf spring as having two bushings and the rear having eight. is
> this correct or am I reading it wrong?

PER SIDE: Two in the front (hinged at the frame)
           FOUR in the rear (shackle, two at spring, two at frame).

So you would need a total of 12 for the car.

>     has anyone replaced the speedo piece that fits inside the union and
> connects the cable? this is the small shaft piece. I was told a tranny shop
> could supply me with one but am unsure how to tell them what I need. I guess
> I could take the cable and union to the shop. however I was wondering if
> anyone had a part number or type.

Took me a moment, but you must be talking about a right angle drive.
There is small adapter between the adapter and transmission. Not aware
of it being available seperately. Perhaps someone else has more insight.

If you are talking about a plastic (originally brass) piece that has
a number of teeth on the end of the gear, they are commonly available
from Nissan. Thankfully same unit was used for a number of Datsun's,
and also a great way to recalibrate the speedometer when different
rear ends and tires.

> I will try and pick-up a 7 lb pressure cap for my overflow tank today
> sometime. hopefully that will help the overflow. I was pondering it last
> night and the temp never got over 190-195. is it possible to have a normal
> temp reading and still blow coolant out of the overflow tank line?
> thermostat is new (240 Z model).

On both 1600 & 2000's... does it have a "jiggler valve" just a small
hole with a piece of metal twisted in it. Lets the system bleed air,
but restricts water. Usually I'll carefully drill a small (3/32")
hole in the thermostat if needed.

Year back I loved the STANT thermostats. Never had a problem, then it
seemed that I got nothing bad ones for a solid 12 months. Only way
to confirm them was in a pan of water, thermometer, and heat the water
up and observe when they open.

Usually I run a 180F thermostat on the roadsters.

Also check the water temp flowing into the radiator. Much easier on
a 1600, then 2000, due to the radiator cap location. Engine cold.
Remove cap, let the vehicle warm up. Thermometer to confirm what the
temperature really is.

Tom