Way OT-but useful: Good Pickup/tow vehicle tires

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Way OT-but useful: Good Pickup/tow vehicle tires
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:40:54 +0000
For all:
I dont drive very tire friendly, but got about 55K out of my last set of
Dunlop Radial Rover AT 9.50X30 pickup tires, on my 88 Jeep Commanche 2wd.

I looked at prices, and the comments on the tire rack feedback, and these
look
like still the best deal around.  Good wear, very good in the wet (important
for
unloaded pickups), good in snow, and good quality, and low price.

I fired up another set from tire rack, ordered Wed AM, they were in my
driveway Thurs after work.  71$ list, plus about 13 per for shipping, plus
about 14 each for mount and balance and disposal fee of old ones.
This means a set of four great kick-ass tires for under $400.  The
9.50X30 is just a little bigger than 235X78, but is a truck tire rated
for 50psi, which seems to give better gas milage, and also means you can
put however much weight you feel like in the back.  The local Dunlop
dealer could come no lower than about $460.

Mine are exactly 10 per cent bigger in distance traveled per revolution, so
20 mpg is really 22 mpg, and 60mph is really 66 mph.  This is compared to
the 205X78X15 stockers.

Roadster Content:  The steering once again is developing a little play.
Since
bringing the suspension to autocross specs, and autocrossing, all my old
suspension parts seem to be going south one by one.  First the idler box,
then the upper control arm bushings...wonder what it is now.  The
"SAKE RKT" continues to cause spontainious smiles and run well though.

Next Tidewater Sports Car Club Autocross is at Assault Craft Unit Four,
Naval Base Little Creek, 21 September, in case anybody is interested.

Best Regards,
Jim Cawrse
Chesapeake Virginia
67 pushrod 2L 5spd