RE: Clear coating wheels

To: "'snyler'" <mtyler@hctc.net>,
Subject: RE: Clear coating wheels
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:55:01 +1030
Allen and list,
I have detailed a couple of alloy wheel sets. I have found that using
Very Fine Scotchbrite pads followed by #400 paper and then an alloy
polish (I use a product called AUTOSOL) you can create a beaut
polished surface that is very easy to maintain.
I usually only polish the perimeter rim and paint the spokes a dark
colour to give a good contrast.
To clear coat you need to de-grease the polished area and then spray
otherwise the clear coat will not adhere at all.
I find that a careful wash with conventional car wash and a wipe with
a chamois and viola, still shiny!
May be only once a year will I re-polish with the Autosol paste.
Another plus is that there is no coating that will chip or flake when
your tyres are fitted/removed by the tyre fitters.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291195515
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
1972 P510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291183313
Adelaide, South Australia.