Re: Roadster Sighting.then....Replace U-20's?

To: "datsunmike"<datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roadster Sighting.then....Replace U-20's?
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:30:12 -0800
Mike,

I don't agree with your expectation for the demise of the U-20.  There are
some cars that could use transplant engines because of their condition or
desirability.  However, there are many 2L cars that should be kept original
as far as the drive train goes.

The significant difference between the pushrod engines and the U-20 OHC are
the timing components.  I have made replacement timing gear (4) and chain
(2) sets available at within $5 of the suggested retail price in the Nissan
price list.  There is a limited quantity at this time with future plans to
be determined at a later date.  Getting the parts made was not a fun or a
cheap project but it got done.  Others offer U-20 timing parts.  I can't
see that one can justify scrapping a specialty engine for a scarce 30+ year
old car just because the parts aren't cheep.  The Internet has made part
location a lot easier.  Water pumps, harmonic balancers and probably oil
pumps can be rebuilt.  Maybe you can jump in and get other hard to find
parts reproduced as do some of your British car associates.

Remember the old adage "Old cars don't get valuable until you can't get
parts for them"  All adages are not 100% accurate.  Remember the Yugo!

I have no problem with the concept of installing replacement engines under
the right circumstances.  I did it in 1980 and have made kits available to
others that wanted them to install "L" series engines.

There are mongrel dogs and pure breed dogs and both are desired.

My $0.020000003,
Stan
========