Roadster Sighting...Tempe Az

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Roadster Sighting...Tempe Az
From: Ryan Bird<birdman@myrealbox.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2003 22:41:12 -0700
Hello All,

As I was pulling out of church this afternoon, in our parking lot was a red,
early 1600....  I was shocked to see on right there, but my wife wasn't too
impressed.  I ended up driving home, dropping off the family, and then with the
excuse (I've gotta go to Ron's to get the e-brake rods) I hopped into my 1600
and quickly went back to church.  Fortunately the roadster was still there.
The interior had seen better days, and a bit of paint bubbling was visible,
especially on the trunk.  I noticed a "trick" five-speed shifter, but other
than that, it was fun to see the car.  I was about to write a note to the owner
when a young boy came out and started "freaking out", soon followed by what
looked like his older sisters, they all were quite excited and quickly yelled:
"DAD, COME QUICKLY!!! COME NOW!!!"  (My roadster was parked right next to the
red one.)

Turns out I bumped into a long time roadster owner, Karl Payne.  He has a 2.3L
Ford Turbo in the car matched up with a 5 speed.  The bubbling on the hood was
due to the heat of the turbo-charger.  We talked for an hour, played a bit with
each others cars, and finally his wife pulled him away for dinner.

What a blast.  Karl mentioned he had been on the list in the past, he might
re-join us soon.  AzRoc'ers, he is more than willing to join us for any
get-to-gethers we have, he liked the thought of a run up South Mountain....
Laruie....  Any Takers?  (Of course I'll be out of town for the next 5 weeks)

Anyway, he mentioned that he had gotten some flack from his "non-stock" engine
in the past...  I don't think he'll get anything but awe from us...  He claims
210 hp when all is running well.

Take care and enjoy the ride,

Ryan Bird
Tempe, AZ  67 1600