boat boxes

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: boat boxes
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@att.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:05:48 -0600
My battery is in the trunk.  The battery is securely fastened with a metal
frame that is bolted to the trunk floor.  The whole thing is inside a
plastic boat battery box.    Those boat boxes look nice and keep the + post
from contacting anything, but how securely do they locate the battery?  It
would appear that in an accident the battery box would break free.  The
installation kit with the box is just a couple of plastic brackets and a
nylon strap.  Even with bolts and big washers fastened through the bottom of
the box I don't think it would hold in an accident.

I run a cable from the positive post to the starter.  The alternator and
main power wire also hook onto the starter.  The negative goes from the
battery to a master cut off switch located where the filler neck used to be.

Moving the battery helped my weight distribution quite a bit.  I still had
to add 35  lbs of lead over the right rear, 200 lbs under the passenger
seat, and 15 lbs where the battery used to be.  Now its 50/50 right to left
and front to back and only 2080lbs total.  That is about 30lbs more than
stock.

Andy