my turn I guess..

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: my turn I guess..
From: "Dave Stoll" <dgstoll@gwi.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:57:24 -0500
My turn....
49yrs old, 22 good married years to Eda, 3 boys, Matthew 18, just graduated
from jump school and on leave until this week end then he is off to the 82nd
airborne for 3 years, Nathan 14, downstairs tearing apart a lawnmower engine
to find out what is inside, Donnie 9, who introduced himself last week with
this-"I have ADHD, Autism called Aspergers and some things aren't hooked up
right..."  We live in the middle of 35 acres near Bangor Maine, in a little
town called Carmel.  I design machinery for the forest industry now and get
called a project manager which means I don't get to do my own drawings
anymore.  I also designed machinery for handling coils of steel feeding into
presses stamping out parts.  I got laid off from that job last Nov.

I grew up in souteast Pennsylania near Valley Forge.  I bought my first
roadster while on crutches recovering from a motorcycle accident in fall of
1972.  I always thought it was a '69 1600 but now know it was a '68 (no
sidemarkers...) I moved to Maine in '74 to go to school and got the urge for
another motorcycle so I sold the roadster and bought a '72 750 Honda
identical to the one I crashed.  Bought a '77 BMW 100S in May '77 and lived
several years for the ride....even rode to the west coast for our honeymoon.
Kids entered the  scene and the touring stopped.  I still have the BMW and
ride almost every day in the summer.  I got tired of old station wagons in
the spring of 2000 and told my wife it was time for me to get a car that was
fun to drive.  She agreed and one night I sat at the computer and wondered
if there were any roadsters left, I had not seen one for many years. I found
a web site called tradersonline and found three roadsters for sale. The one
in Colorado was in good running shape, couple dings but no dents.  So I
bought the car without seeing it, had a car transporter pick it up and
deliver it to a truck stop in Bangor $3,000 for the car, $1200 for the
transport.  I knew the clutch slipped and noticed some oil drops on the
front of the transmission.  The engine ran good, 84,000 miles and the
interior was in good shape.  I pulled the engine, put in a new clutch, head
gasket, rear main seal and the other misc. gaskets.  I've now run 3 summers,
replaced both rear wheel bearings, choke cable and put on some recurved rear
springs in 34,000 miles of daily running as we all know these roadsters are
just great little cars...I have greatly appreciated the support of list
members during 6 months of unemployment.  I don't have many tips to share
because my roadster runs so good!!!

I met a former roadster owner who has seen a white roadster with a black
hardtop at antique outboard motor shows.... funny thing,, I sold one in
1975... do you suppose its the same one?

first car- '57 Pontiac Super Chief Stationwagon w/ 348 4bbl....
first bike- 50cc Bennelli

other interests- fishing camping, kayaking

If you ever come to Maine to visit, let me know, I can help you avoid the
rest of the tourists....give kayak rides and even roadster rides...

Patiently awaiting the second coming of my Lord and Saviour Jesus who will
hook everything up right...