The first "bad" news from my restoration

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The first "bad" news from my restoration
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:28:06 -0700
Hello All,

One thing I will say for Ross is that he is an information superhighway when
it comes to keeping me informed about what is going on with my restoration.
Almost every other day I get pictures and write ups on what is being done
and also to ask me for decisions on various issues. For the most part,
things have gone smoothly.

Today I got some pics of a previously undiscovered rust area on the inside
passenger fender. Nothing serious and he is already repairing the damage.
Then there is issue of my engine block.

I had pulled the engine/tranny from the car soon after I parked it for
dismantling. It had always run faithfully for me and I had very few problems
with it. In fact, it always was REALLY fast.

So I was dismayed to hear that one of the castings that bolts the tranny to
the block is missing. Technically, the block is cracked, but it is not like
it is cracked across the top but just at the point where it bolts to the
tranny.

Still, it will require some fancy welding to repair and although I have
every confidence in Ross, needless to say I am bummed. Still, this is the
matching block and Ross told me that he will do whatever he can to repair it
so I will have the four major mount points between the block and tranny
sound.

Just another day in restoration paradise.

Andrew Murphy
SRL311-00489
SoCalROC