Summit Point - Tom Phelan's Results

To: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Summit Point - Tom Phelan's Results
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:38:57 -0400
Tom did quite well - make that extremely well. His times dropped from 1:46
on Friday to 1:37 in the Datsun Feature race. To put it in perspective he
was only 8 seconds slower than Mike Unger per lap.

Sounds like a lot but Mike has been racing for many years and he was the
winner of the race! Mike was impressed by Tom's times.

Tom didn't stop smiling the whole weekend and is now addicted!!!!!!

Unfortunately Tom's car suffered a series of minor necessary repairs
throughout the weekend one of which left me working on the car in a
"photo-op" position. If I had known I would be doing so much wrenching I
woulda brought some work clothes, but it was fun as it was a team effort
with Paul Kort, Mike Unger, Bob Middleton, Dick Tillinger, Mark Dent, Craig
Halstead, Ron Freudenhein and many others all lending a helping hand, parts
or advice to help Tom out.

Tom didn't grid for his Group race as a loose rear mainshaft tranny nut,
suffered on the Sunday morning qualifying session, caused severe vibration
problems and loosened the tranny - engine mounting bolts and the car lost
the upper starter mounting bolt. The Datsun feature race probably loosened
them up a lot more and there wasn't time to repair it so I convinced Tom to
bow out of the Group race before "real" damage happened. I'm sure Tom would
of done the same w/o my prodding.

All in all it was a great weekend with super weather and lotsa fun. No cars
broke in the Datsun contingent although a blown headgasket caused Doc Bork's
240Z to not make the Datsun feature race.

Dick Tillinger lost his rear brakes when one of his lines suffered a hair
crack on Saturday but he fixed it and all was well on Sunday. Mike Unger's
and Bob Middleton's cars ran like locomotives and suffered no mishaps the
entire weekend.

Tom's next planned race is a VIR. I hope some of you southern guys and go
and help out Tom and become a part of the fun.

Mike

PS - Bring work clothes and some gloves :)