Re: your mail

To: Datsun_Sports <Datsun_Sports@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:14:36 -0500 (CDT)
Mike,

As I recall the back on those switches just snap on, but even if they are
glued on they can be opened up with a sharp knife. The way I look at it,
the switch is bad and needs to be replaced, so you can't make it any
worse!

Mark the back and side of the switch with a magic marker so you will get
it back to gether later. Also, mark the case and actuator that connects to
the ignition lock. (this is a column mounted switch, isn't it?)

Be careful when opening the switch, there may be small coil springs in it
that can get lost easily. Work over a table in good light. I generally use
a cookie sheet with raised sides when doing this kind of work so the parts
don't roll off the work surface and go on vacation.

Carefully open the switch and try to see where all the pieces are. You
should find that the back cover of the switch (where the connections are)
has metal buttons on the inside that are connected to the connections on
the outside. Check that the connections are tight and the connections
through the back cover are not all corroded.

The rotating part of the switch should be either a series of coil springs,
or a flat spring with a formed contact plat on it that rukbs against the
buttons on the back cover.

All the contact areas will show rubbing where they contacted the other
parts of the switch. These areas need to be not burned. I use a typewriter
eraser to go over the areas to clean off any burning and oxidation.

The switch needs lubrication and something to help suppress oxidation. Go
to a commercial electrical contractor on a site and see if you can beg
some of the grease that they use on large outdoor lugs. It is usually grey
and works much better than the silicone grease that you get at Radio
Shack. (I wouldn't go to an electrical supply house for this, they will
have it in larger quantities than you will ever use!) The Radio Shack is
OK, but the commercial stuff works much better.

Put the switch back together and give it a try. If it works, plan on
getting yourself a spare for the future. If it doesn't, well, it's time to
buy the new switch now.

All this cleaning will cost you is an hour or so and a trip to a local
construction project.

Good Luck!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner