Re: 2000 Engine Building/Rebuilding...

To: grayc@rpi.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2000 Engine Building/Rebuilding...
From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:29:24 -0500
>Should I port the head according to the competition manual if I am using
>stock pistons?

Sure, this will help flow and ought to increase power.  Don't get too
aggressive or you can do damage.

>Is there anything I should do to the head otherwise?

Not for a street car.

>Whats the best way to paint the block and not get paint inside the block?

Use regular masking tape.

>Were the 2000 original pistons nurled on the edges?

Sorry, I can't remember.

>How hard is it to lighten pistons and connecting rods and balance them?

I wouldn't recommend lightening the pistons, unless it is a tiny amount to
achieve balance.  If you do this, take aluminum off the bottom.  Connecting
rods can be de-stressed by grinding off the rough casting marks.  If you do
this, you will need to get them shot peened to re-establish a hardened
surface.  It probably isn't worth doing...I've never heard of a U20 snapping
a rod.

Have fun!!!
Chris Robertson