Re: Braided cable running from starter solinoid to starter?

To: "lou daly" <lou_daly@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Braided cable running from starter solinoid to starter?
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:25:58 -0700
>Dan wrote: On my 69 2000 there is a very corroded-dirty braided cable that
runs from the starter solenoid to the starter?  What exactly is this for?

>Then Lou Wrote - hot the solinoid effectively joins that to the cable from
your pos battery terminal

Right, A starter solenoid is both a relay and an actuator. When you turn the
key, the solenoid coil is energized, which draws back the rod, which
operates a lever to push out the starter gear. The other end of the rod
simultaneously closes the circuit between the battery and the starter motor,
letting the big juice turn the engine. The bare cable you see is the big
juice from the solenoid to the starter motor. Being so close to the exhaust
manifold and with the heat generated passing current, the insulation usually
gets cooked right off.