Re: Calif DMV Q

To: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Calif DMV Q
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 07:33:18 -0800
Dan,

The law isn't well enforced but if you become a resident you are supposed
to register the car and get a drivers license within 30 days.

You won't need to deal with smog since '73 and older cars don't need smog
testing at this time.  The auto repair industry is pushing a return to
testing cars '66 and later in order to increase their income.

Although not on subject, the California DMV is making a large percentage of
the '80's vehicles go to "Test only" stations where no repairs are allowed
to see if they can get them in Gross Polluter status so they can get them
off the road.  Seems there are two reasons.  New car dealers want to sell
cars and state gets more tax revenue from newer cars because it is based on
Market Value?

Stan
=========