We Get No Respect (was BRE 510)

To: "Gary McCormick" <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>,
Subject: We Get No Respect (was BRE 510)
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:39:35 -0500
I think times are a changin'. I have a copy of Classic Sports Cars (I think
that's the mag) that has a yellow Miata on it and the editorial says that
Europeans shouldn't be thumbing the Miata as it's a true classic car.

I also saw the latest Practical Classics and on the cover is a 240Z.

I don't think magazines are necessarily anti-Japanese, it's just that Jap
cars don't have the "pedigree" that Euro cars have. MG has been making
sports cars since about the early 30s, same with Alfa, Mercedes, BMW, Audi
(Auto Union), Sunbeam, Fiat, RR, Bentley, Jaguar etc, etc.

Let's face it Datsuns and Toyotas haven't been around that long outside of
Japan and almost all the Datsuns were licensed from British car companies.
Even our Roadsters have lots of British licensed parts.

Get over it. Who really cares what others say anyway. Zs and 510s received
great reviews and are still highly respected. What great cars has Nissan
produced (at least those that we can buy in the US)? F10s, 610s, Sentras
(excluding the SE-R), Pulsars, 200SXs and other easily forgettable models.

We get shitty Nissan cars in the US. Boring, slow and about as sexy as a
box. For the entire 80s, we got crap from Nissan unless you consider the
overweight bulbous boulevardier 300ZX a great car.

Mike