Re: O.T. Idiot of the Month Award (sorta long)

To: " roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: O.T. Idiot of the Month Award (sorta long)
From: "James Moore" <james.moore14@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:35:15 -0500
I could sit here and write a book with all the automotive repair related
lunacy I have seen...in my professional life as an Engineer/tech hotline
worker/field rep for various automotive manufacturers and in my personal
life...but I'll share just 2 of them.....

1) My neighbor who owned a 1987 Sentra and a 1993 Altima when I worked for
Nissan, came to my door with his owner's manual in hand the day after
Christmas one year. He was changing the coolant and asked me if the figure
of 3 1/2 quarts of coolant was correct. I told him that it was a small
engine and if it was in the owner's manual it sounded about right....2 days
later I come home from work and see steam roiling from underneath his open
hood.....I ask what was wrong and he says he finally realized why he thought
the figure for the coolant was incorrect.....he took 3 1/2 quarts to be 3
1/2 cups...and only put in that much in total. This was after he attempted 2
front brake jobs...dropping one vehicle on his ankle by using just the
scissor jack and forgetting to install one of the caliper bolts in the other
vehicle.

2) A technician at a Land Rover dealership in Florida calls the Tech Hotline
(first call on a Monday morning) and says he has codes for a short in the
driver's airbag system....he says he found a chafed wire in the steering
column...erased the codes and pulled the airbag up and tried grounding the
wire to see if it would reset the code....with the airbag still attached.
When I informed him that wasn't the smartest thing to do, his answer was "I
ain't afraid of no airbag".

Just when you think you've heard it all....

Jim Moore
Dunkirk MD

///
///