Re: [240z.org] Roadster

To: Pre-Zee <Pre_Z@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: [240z.org] Roadster
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 05:40:53 -0800
Pre-Zee wrote:

> On this link @ picture #7 you can see the radiator fan is running.  However
> the engine is in nice focus rather than having a soft blur from a shaking
> engine.
>
> My question is how do I know if I have a (some) bad engine mount(s)?  My
> engine sorta shimmy's from port to starboard as it runs & if I took a photo
> would expect a blurred image (discounting a fast film).  I am guessing an
> engine mount issue but how would I know if that's if & if it's one or both,
> or is there a tranny mount that it might be?
>
> If the consensus is engine mount are there any preferences or is it a choice
> of one?  I know on my other brand one can do hydraulic mounts, solid mounts,
> & such, but I have no idea how to identify & confirm.
>
> I dare say a resolve would calm my dancing shifter knob too.
>
> Or should I just dress the shifter in a grass skirt & call it a day 'brau'?
>
> George M (Pre-Z)

George,
First off, I was wondering if you are driving a boat or a roadster?
       ;>)
Anyway, place a floor jack under the oil pan with a board between
the jack and pan so you distribute the load a bit.  Then jack the jack
up to the pan and then a little more.  You should be able to see if the
engine mounts separate or not.  DO NOT try to lift the car off the ground!
Then you can grab the top of the engine and shake it back and forth a bit or
use a pry bar to attempt to separate the mount, be careful, don't reef on it
but do challenge it some.  There should be some give to it.  Is there a bunch
of oil/grease on them?  Oil can cause them the eventually fail.

If your engine is shaking you may have an engine out of tune. Either the
ignition or fuel system can contribute to that shaking.  Obvious things like
the points, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, condensers can be suspect.  Valve
adjustment.  The fuel system may need the carbs balanced, filters,
vacuum leak.  These are just a few other things to look at with a shaking
engine.
Hope that helps.
Bob

///