Re: Series II 510 5 speed needed (late 70s 510)

To: Marc Tyler <marc@animalfirm.com>,
Subject: Re: Series II 510 5 speed needed (late 70s 510)
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:00:23 -0500
>snyler

> What engine did the series II 510 use?  What about the 210?

Never heard them called Series II, but the HL510, introduced in '78, came
with the L-20B and what's commonly called a dogleg 5-speed (in the 2-door
hatchbacks only, AFAIK) due 1st gear being to the left with reverse opposite
it in the pattern. Not a sought after trans as it tends to wear and is
weaker than the Z or truck 5-speed. One advantage is that it's the same
length as the 4 speed so you don't need to mess with moding the trans
crossmember or having the driveshaft cut. Not sure, but the later versions
of this car may have come with the Z-20, the emissions motor with the
crossflow head. They mounted the engine/trans at a different angle with the
Z-motors (more upright than the L-motors), so that might what he needs.

The 210 came with A-series pushrod motors and I can remember for sure if
there was ever a 5-speed offered in that model, but I think there might have
been. FWIW, the original 200SX (IMO even uglier than the F10) was basically
the 210 with slightly different front sheet metal and an L-20B/5-speed
stuffed into it.

I may be slightly off on some details, but some the other folks can probably
fill in the gaps.

HTH, Ron

The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas