OOPS! I did it again!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OOPS! I did it again!!
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:55:00 -0400
No, this is not an e-mail about Britney Spears......

I want to start this note by thanking Phil Hall, his neighbor Alan (sorry,
forgot the last name), Chris Brucciani, Craig Halsted, Alan Vedadi and Mark
Dent for taking time out of their schedules last week/weekend.

A while back, I posted my 67 2000 project for sale.  A lot of folks were
surprised because I have wanted a 67 2000 for quite some time now.  Well,
the reason that I offered it up is that I had the opportunity to get another
67 2000 in MUCH better shape.  To make a long story somewhat shorter, that
all came to pass this past weekend.

I left town Thursday morning with Spot in tow.  (Spot is the 67.5 1600 that
was to be the donor for #76)  We headed to Atlanta and met Phil, his
neighbor Alan and Chris.  We had a great time talking Roadsters and cars in
general (such a good time that I forgot about the financial part of that
transaction!  But Phil and I talked later and will resolve it)  After lunch,
I got back in the truck and drove on to Fayetteville, NC to visit with a
high school buddy (he is a TR6 guy, but I don't hold that against him).  The
next morning, I drove on to Front Royal and met up with Craig.  After
touring his place, checking out the roadsters and resting from the long
drive, we had lunch and went back to get the car ready to load up.  After
moving a car, Alan and Mark arrived.  More Roadsterspeak occurred while we
moved another couple of cars to get the 67 2000 out of the paint booth.

We aired up it's tires and came up with a plan to haul it up the hill
(STEEP!!)  As I sat on the engine which is located where the drivers seat
belongs, I steered (no brakes!) as Craig in the 4x4 Dodge yanked us up the
hill.  I should mention that the car was facing down hill and I had to steer
looking over my shoulder.  We dodged the trees and pulled it up the hill to
get it ready to load.  A mouse decided to hitch a ride much to Craig's
amusement.  (I think that he bailed out long before I got to Florida)  Alan
and Mark suggested that I stay at Alan's so that I could be closer to I-95
to trek south.

The trip home was uneventful other than the fact that I now have another
Solex 2000 in the driveway!  Thanks to Craig for giving me the chance to buy
the car, thanks to Phil for taking Spot off my hands (so I would not have to
live in the driveway with the car), thanks to Alan and Chris for helping get
the car off of my trailer and onto Phil's borrowed tow dolly.  A BIG thanks
to Alan Vedadi for his hospitality for so graciously offering me a place to
stay on the return run and another big thanks to Mark for his help in
helping make the trip a success.

Now I have to assess the car's needs and clear out the garage to make space
for another project.  All in all, it was quite the adventure.  2100 miles
(solo) in 4 days driving a borrowed F250 towing a borrowed trailer.  I am
STILL tired from that drive, but you just have to experience over 7 litres
of turbochared diesel towing capacity to believe it!

I would be remiss if I did not thank the one person that REALLY made it all
possible.  My wonderful, understanding, adorable wife for putting up with me
and all my Roadster shenanigans!!

Sidney Raper
1964 1500
1967 2000 (x2!!)