Re: cable housing

To: LauryV@MTA.NET, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cable housing
From: JRDMF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:09:36 EDT
Heat-Shrink 101

The best way to go here, is to use the 3M brand "FP-301" and the size that
works best for the cables is .250 in. As far as heat shrink go's this is the
cheap stuff which is good, because the really good stuff has a sealer in it
that liquefies when you heat it up. Gooey cables bad, dry or lubricated
cables good. Enough said.

I buy this stuff from a little electronics store in Westminster Ca. called, J
and K Electronics. (714-890-4001).
It comes in 4 foot sections, and in all sorts of colors. The last time I
bought it was 2 months ago, and cost me $3.10 per section.

A few tips I can offer here are: DO NOT shrink this stuff with an open flame.
It will shrink, but it will also discolor and ruin any detail you hope to
achieve. What you need to use is a heat gun, or if you don't have access to
one, a hair dryer on Max heat will work fine. You should also leave it long
on the ends, and trim it with a razor blade after you shrink it. One more
really neat thing about this stuff is that if you choose a light color, or a
color that shows the dirt, you can clean it with lacquer thinner, or any
other solvent and it doesn't hurt it or change the color.

Is that too much information, or what?
Jon
Huntington Beach, Ca